Monday, July 6, 2009

From The Washngton Post http://bit.ly/6n2ji: Excellent Army Spouse Commentary

From The Washington Post:

A Soldier's Wife
By Georgie Hanlin
Saturday, July 4, 2009

"My childhood friend of 31 years visited my home on base, in Quantico, a few months after I gave birth to my first baby. As we took a leisurely stroll one evening through the lingering humidity of early September, I explained to her how different military life is from the world in which we grew up in San Francisco. We passed rows of colorful houses on the tree-lined, manicured blocks and gazed at the playgrounds around the neighborhood, ready to welcome the children of the officers who live there. American flags hung from virtually every front door. The occasional 'My daddy fights for your freedom' bumper sticker adorned some vehicles. As we looped around the bend toward my house, my friend turned to me and asked, 'How do you accept what your husband does for a living?'"

For the remainder, please visit http://bit.ly/6n2ji

No comments:

Post a Comment